Słubice is a town located within the historic area of the Lubusz Land, right along the borderline with Germany, by the Lubes Oder River. Until 1945, the town was part of the town of Frankfurt (Oder). Słubice used to be the right-bank district of Frankfurt, under the name Dammvorstadt. The current name of Słubice was given until the end of the Second World War.
Zliwitz, as it used to be known in the past, was granted its borough rights in 1253. Before that, in 1225, Zliwitz was granted its staple rights by Henry the Bearded, Duke of Silesia residing in Wrocław. Later on, Zliwitz became part of the Kingdom of Bohemia, then was incorporated into Brandenburg. Finally, it became a region of the Kingdom of Prussia.
Słubice is surrounded by vast forest complexes of the Rzepińska Forest scattered among three large rivers: Oder, Warta, and Obra.